The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FT-818ND PA  (Read 2335 times)
VR2AX

Ignore
« on: March 28, 2018, 06:40:34 PM »

According to the Japanese manual for the FT-818ND, it uses the same PA as the FT-817ND. A pair of RD07MVS1.

There is also a block diagram at page 70 and some frequency and power charts on pages 67 to 69.

The Japanese manual can be downloaded here (Note it is a 20 MB download!)

http://www.yaesu.com/jp/manuals/yaesu_m/FT-818_OM_JPN_E13770020_1802L-AS-1.pdf

VR2AX
ZENKI

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2018, 04:25:02 AM »

The FT817 already had horrible IMD, now Yaesu has used CB  Screwdriver engineering that will ensure the FT818ND is a filthy dirty transceiver with its higher output. Yaesu should be ashamed of their poor engineering standards. Whats going to make matters worst is the  fact that many hams  add CB amplifiers or amplifiers with  IMD performance that is no better than most CB amplifiers and end up with a combination that produces horrendous rotten splatter.
VR2AX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2018, 07:00:00 AM »

I’m waiting for pricing will post back when tested.
VK3BL

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2018, 03:10:04 AM »

The FT817 already had horrible IMD, now Yaesu has used CB  Screwdriver engineering that will ensure the FT818ND is a filthy dirty transceiver with its higher output. Yaesu should be ashamed of their poor engineering standards. Whats going to make matters worst is the  fact that many hams  add CB amplifiers or amplifiers with  IMD performance that is no better than most CB amplifiers and end up with a combination that produces horrendous rotten splatter.

Bullshit.  The IMD performance can be very very good; it is just often well and truly overdriven.

Check out: https://youtu.be/xNJzE1_XqG4

Approximately -37dBm (as measured on the SDRPlay used above) is maximum output of the FT-818ND; beyond this PEP does not increase but IMD does significantly.

The first 2 (non over-driven) white noise plots are @ rated power of the FT-818 (an overdriven FT-817, essentially).

-30dBc is fine by me for a 5W/6W manpack radio.  Hardly 'horrible' considering its essentially the same as certain $3000+ radios.

Many people just push them into -15dBc territory (as also shown) by connecting up electret mics and/or external RF clippers.  The irony being all that energy in the IMD products actually decreases in some cases the passband energy.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 03:32:19 AM by VK3BL » Logged

J.D. Mitchell BA  - VK3BL / XU7AGA - https://www.youtube.com/ratemyradio - Honesty & Integrity
VR2AX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2018, 06:57:15 PM »

Do you happen to know the version number of your FT-818ND? I am just curious because there is no information about versions on the Yaesu literature. At least one dealer is advertising a B2 version and a C2 version, apparently variants with different 5Mhz allocations.
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2018, 02:37:40 AM »

Do you happen to know the version number of your FT-818ND? I am just curious because there is no information about versions on the Yaesu literature. At least one dealer is advertising a B2 version and a C2 version, apparently variants with different 5Mhz allocations.

I'd like to know too, I know there are variants between models marketed for different areas of the world. Such as power requirements and different frequency allotments for different ITU regions...

Speculation

I'm taking a wild guess that the B and C could refer to ITU region II and III and perhaps A could refer to ITU region I.  The numerical number after the letter could refer to a particular country if it varies from other countries in the region. If there is a specific model for North America, perhaps the U.S. version might be different than Canada's? Why? Because the U.S. model has the Alaska Emergency Frequency on 5.1675 MHz since it is only for the U.S.

If this info is wrong can someone clarify or correct it?
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 02:47:00 AM by W4KYR » Logged

The internet and cellphone networks are great until they go down, what then? Find out here. 
https://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,111948.0.html

Using Windows 98 For Packet...
VR2AX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2018, 04:48:36 AM »

W4KYR - thanks maybe. My initial guess was that 2 was region and the B and C variations, but is there a A2? Versions usually just on the outside box label, not meant for understanding.

VK3BL - any information on imd3 at 2.5 watts using the internal 9 volt batteries?

Good luck to all this Hong Kong Rugby Sevens weekend (subject to region).

W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2018, 01:28:01 PM »

W4KYR - thanks maybe. My initial guess was that 2 was region and the B and C variations, but is there a A2? Versions usually just on the outside box label, not meant for understanding.

VK3BL - any information on imd3 at 2.5 watts using the internal 9 volt batteries?

Good luck to all this Hong Kong Rugby Sevens weekend (subject to region).

In some cases A stands for the Americas and E stands for Europe, like in the case of Kenwood TH-D72A and Kenwood TH-D72E.

For other types of radios, there are differences between the U.S. and Canada. In the United States, radios that receive the frequencies in the cellular band cannot be sold unless they have some kind of block that can't be easily modified. As far as I know, Canada still has no such law. There could be hypothetical  A1 and A2 versions in that case. But in the FT-817/FT-818, those radios cannot pick up the cellular frequencies anyway. But I was using that A1 and A2 as an example how one radio can vary from country to country within the same ITU.

The internet and cellphone networks are great until they go down, what then? Find out here. 
https://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,111948.0.html

Using Windows 98 For Packet...
VK3BL

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2018, 07:54:30 PM »

Where would I find out?  Mine is the USA spec version.  The 5MHz allocations are still just memory entries anyway.

As for the IMD with the internal batteries at 2.5W, I haven't measured it, but would be VERY surprised if worse than -30dBc.

I don't know for sure, but suspect the 1900mAh pack with the new model uses the same cell technology as the (now) Chinese made Panasonic Eneloops, so it should be a decent upgrade (higher drain and better charge retention) over the 1400mAh pack in the FT-817ND.

That said, I'm using the battery tray and IKEA "LADDA" batteries, which are in fact Toshiba made "Eneloop Pro" cells with 2450mAh.  They can be a pain to line up in the tray, but are designed for even higher discharge rates and offer another 500mAh+ again.

A cheap upgrade at $20AUD for 8!

After a 1 and a half hour rag chew with 2 other hams last night the string is sitting at 10.1 volts.  Rather impressive Smiley

J.D. Mitchell BA  - VK3BL / XU7AGA - https://www.youtube.com/ratemyradio - Honesty & Integrity
VK3BL

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2018, 04:54:30 AM »

Sorry 5MHz band is also available when going 'up and down' the bands using the top buttons.

Not sure why M-601 to M-605 also have specific frequencies programmed into them.

VR2AX

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2018, 06:04:49 AM »

Mr. Mitchell:

Thanks that is helpful.

I will try to find out about the version.

Usually in Hong Kong Yaesu sell an “export “ model, which has none of the  specific frequency demands.

About USD 600.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: